- Care must be for children under 13 unless they are incapable of self-care. An annual Letter of Medical Necessity is required if the child is over 13 and should be submitted with your claim (see below for the letter).
- Care must be provided by an individual with a tax ID or a Social Security Number.
- Care must allow the parent(s) to be gainfully employed and be custodial in nature.
Expenses not covered
- Care provided by a parent or sibling under age 19 or by someone you claim as a dependent for tax purposes
- Late fees due to late payments and fees charged for missed days
- Transportation, activity fees, meals, and food items
- Overnight camps, after-school educational classes, sports, or enrichment classes
- School expenses including kindergarten
1. Gather documentation for this claim
This can be a provider invoice, which must include:
- Provider name
- Provider address
- Date(s) of service
- Amount charged
Receipts showing payment are not required.
You can alternatively work with the provider to complete a paper (mail-in) claim form and have them sign it.
2. Submit the claim
This can be done through your account at www.horizonblue.com, with our secure mobile app, or by sending in a paper claim form. You will be asked for the following information:
- The provider tax ID or Social Security Number (this field is optional)
- Dependent name
- Required documentation
When you use our mobile app to request reimbursement, you can use your phone's camera to take a picture of the provider invoice and easily attach the documentation to your claim.
Online reimbursement claims
To submit an online reimbursement claim:
- Sign in at www.horizonblue.com and click My Accounts. In the top right corner, click Horizon MyWay, and then go to your account.
- Choose Get Reimbursed from the I Want To… menu.
- If you have more than one account, select DCAP account, then click Next
- Enter the amount you would like to request, then click Next
- Add or select a bank
- Add the dates of service
- Enter the name of the service provider (the field below for the service provider tax ID is optional)
- Select the name of the dependent receiving the care
- Click Next
- Attach your documentation. You can either upload a completed Dependent Care Form or upload your receipts
- Click Next
- Review and accept the terms by checking the I certify box
- Click Submit
Your documentation will need to include the following items:
- Date of service
- Name of the dependent who received care
- Name of the service provider
- Type of service
- The amount you were charged for service
Attachments must be less than 15MB in size and in one of the following file formats: JPG, PDF, TIFF, PNG, or BMP.
Mail-in reimbursement claims
You can also request reimbursement by mailing in a paper form. This method will take longer. Use the link found later in this page.
When to submit claims
- Submit claims for care that has occurred in the past.
- Submitting claims monthly is easier than submitting each pay period. Don't wait until the end of your runout period, as it may take longer to get reimbursed.
- Make sure the start of your claim service date falls on or after your account's effective date.